Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

2013/14 Season News

Solid Away Victory For Cowden

Click to Decrease Text Size Click to Enlarge Text Size Print

Solid Away Victory For Cowden

PostedJanuary 3, 2014


A goal from Kane Hemmings gave us a deserved winning start to 2014 at a rain drenched Recreation Park on Thursday afternoon. The English strikers 16th goal of the season was no more than we deserved after we dominated most of the 90 minutes against Paul Hartley's side.
Alloa were first to threaten with Andy Kirk shooting wide but Kyle Miller , John Armstrong and Jamie Stevenson then came close to breaking the deadlock in a goal less first half.
The second half opened with home keeper Scott Bain denying both John Armstrong and Lewis Milne while Thomas Flynn saved well from a Kevin Crawley effort.
The hosts made a succession of substitutions as they looked to turn the game but the decisive goal came with 17 minutes to go when Hemmings latched onto a Dean Brett cross to volley home high into the left hand corner of the Wasps net.
Flynn then did well to turn a Simmons effort while Ryan McCord had the ball in the Cowden net but was flagged offside. Meggart then unleashed a 35 yard shot which came close. As the game drew to a close Jon Robertson was denied by keeper Bain from close range.
As the game wound down youngster Ben Anthony was handed his first team debut replacing Jamie Stevenson.
All in all a deserved three points as Jimmy Nicholl extended his unbeaten away run to three games. The results see's us move to within three points of eighth place Dumbarton and nine points ahead of bottom side Morton with both sides meeting at the Bet Butler Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
Next up for us is a home game with Dumbarton a week on Saturday.
The one minute applause in honour of Stuart Juner in the 10th minute of the game was well observed by the large Cowden support in attendance. I'm sure he would have been proud of both the team and fans this afternoon.
REPORTER: Andrew Mullen.
Facebook Twitter