Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

2015/16 Season News


Click to Decrease Text Size Click to Enlarge Text Size Print


PostedAugust 23, 2015

A goal from Greig Spence after just 90 seconds proved to be enough to ensure our first win of the season.
There were three changes to the side which had went down to Dunfermline with John Armstrong returning to the line up after injury while both Pat Scullion and Sam Orritt stepped up from the bench.
Craig Johnston was starting a two game ban after his red card the previous Saturday while both Mo Yaqub and Brad Donalson were listed as subs.
Rovers boss Darren Young listed former Central Parkers Gary Fisher and John Gemmell in his side with Scott McBride still out injured.
A lively start saw the only goal of the afternoon when Rovers keeper Ross Stewart spilled a Buchanan shot and Greig SPENCE was in a perfect position to blast the ball home from close range.
Rovers reply a few minutes later saw Gemmell fire in a fierce freekick which was held by Andrews and a minute later Fisher blasted over from ten yards.
Midway through the first half a shot from Orritt was turned away for a corner by Stewart and just past the half hour Spence fed the ball to the Yorkshireman but his low 12 yard shot was stopped by the diving keeper.
As the first half came to a close Kane headed just over the bar following a corner.
We opened the second half strongly and Buchanan saw two drives blocked on the edge of the box as we went in search of a second goal.
In 52 minutes the on loan Hearts youngster had another good chance as he ran in on goal but his shot was blocked at the expense of a corner.
Three minutes later a 25 yard effort by Gemmell at the other end just whistled past the Cowden post.
A minute later, Rovers had the ball in the Cowden net but the terrace side assistant quickly had his flag raised and the “goal” was disallowed.
Rovers enjoyed more possession as the second half went on but had little end product although with 75 minutes gone Scullion made a timely block on a 14 yard shot by Love and soon after Andrews gathered a header from Dunlop.
With three minutes to go Andrews clawed away a shot from sub Ferry and with virtually the last kick of the ball Rovers player/manager Young fired the final shot high over the High Street end.
Facebook Twitter