Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

2016/17 Season News


Click to Decrease Text Size Click to Enlarge Text Size Print


PostedMarch 30, 2017

Saturday 25th March, Ladbrokes League Two Match No 30, Att 385.

After Jamie Sneddon had saved a second successive spot kick in four days, his Annan counterpart Blair Currie done likewise before Aidan Smith fired home a spectacular winning goal for the home side.

It was an unchanged side which took to the field at a sunny Galabank and within two minutes Ramsay sent a free kick past the post.

At the other end Mullen sent a free kick into the home box but Renton sent his header just over the bar.

A cross from Pyper then saw Miller head over and minutes later he saw a 20 yard drive held by Currie.

Lucas then sent a ball into the Cowden box from the right but Pyper headed over his bar to clear the danger.

Swinglehurst then set up Weaterson but Sneddon blocked his shot with his legs. The keeper was then called into action in 19 minutes when after he had parried the ball Omar was fouled by McLaughlan and he saved the subsequent spot kick from Weatherson with his legs.

Currie then held a long range shot from Henderson while a Renton effort whistled just past the post.

Then as the first half drew to a close both Weatherson and Henderson went close for their respective sides.

The second half opened in dramatic fashion just two minutes in when Renton was clipped by Wright just inside the box and we were awarded a penalty. However Mullen slipped just as he hit the ball and his low effort was saved by Currie.

Another Weatherson shot was then blocked by Renton while Rutherford was off target from 20 yards.

Sneddon then held a Smith effort and in 67 minutes Renton unleashed a powerful shot from 20 yards which thundered off the home crossbar.

Ramsay was then denied by Sneddon while a Carrick shot was wide before the only goal of the afternoon came with 14 minutes to go when Aidan SMITH fired a 20 yard shot high into the top corner.

Ramsay then headed wide from a corner while in our search for an equaliser Moore and Renton were both denied by the keeper.

TEAM: Sneddon, Pyper, Rumsby, McLauchlan, Rutherford, Mullen (Moore 80), Miller, Syme, Henderson (Buchanan 80), Carrick (Glen 75) & Renton. Subs not used – McGurn, Johnston, B Ross & Muirhead.

Booked: Pyper (49).

ANNAN ATHLETIC: Currie, Lucas, Stewart, Krissian, Swinglehurst, Skelton, Wright(Cuddihy 67), Ramsay, Weatherson, Omar (Smith 29) & Flanagan. Subs not used – Mitchell, McKenna, Home, Osadolor & Fry.

Goal: Smith (76).

Booked: Lucas (3), Swinglehurst (51).

REFEREE: Craig Napier.

Facebook Twitter