Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Stirling Albion

Stirling Albion 1Cowdenbeath FC 3

Date: 14th August 2010 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Mike Tumilty
Venue: Forthbank Stadium Attendance: 820
Man of the Match: Lee Sibanda

It was flag day at Forthbank as former Albion chairman Peter McKenzie and his grandson Scott unfurled the second division championship flag along with David Thomson of the SFL but it was Cowden sub Dean Brett who stole the show as we recorded our first ever win at Forthbank and our first win in the City of Stirling since May 1989.

There was one change to the side which had crashed out of the Alba Cup in midweek at Ayr with Lee Sibanda coming in for youngster Thomas O’Brien.

Two early crosses from Linton set up chances for Sibanda and Dempster with the later firing the ball straight at keeper Christie from close range while at the other end new signing Smith shot just over for the home side.

Midway through the opening period Aitken was yellow carded after a heavy challenge on Sibanda.

As the half progressed the midfielder fired in a couple of corners into the Cowden box with Buist seeing a header cleared off the line by Cameron while McDonald headed just over. Smith then saw a 20 yard shot deflected for a corner.

Eleven minutes from the interval Aitken was third time lucky with his corners and found Scott Robertson who fired into the top corner of the net from ten yards.

Just after the hour mark we got a deserved equaliser when Brett, who had replaced the injured Baxter at the interval, fired a cross from the right into the Stirling box which fell to Lee Sibanda who sent a glancing header past the advancing Christie into the empty net.

With 20 minutes to go Dean Brett gave us the lead. Sibanda appeared to be encroached in the box but as play went on the ball fell to the youngster on the edge of the box and he coolly picked his spot to fire into the net via Christie’s right hand post.

Things got worse for the home side minutes later when Aitken fouled Ramsay and was sent off.

A memorable day for the travelling support was completed 13 minutes from time when John Dempster completed the scoring. The big striker broke into the box unmarked and slotted the ball home from close range.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC