Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Raith Rovers 2

Date: 16th October 2010 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Bobby Madden
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 1508
Man of the Match:

Two goals at the death denied a depleted Cowden side a derby win as the Rovers kept on the tails of league leaders Dunfermline as the first quarter of the season drew to a close before Central Park’s biggest crowd of the season.

There were three changes to the side which went down at the Falkirk Stadium the previous fortnight with Mark Baxter coming back into the team along with Marc McKenzie while young Mark Smith was recalled from Bellshill Athletic to make his first start.

The first half proved to be short of clear cut chances for either side, although the visitors forced eight corners in the opening 20 minutes.

The first chance of note came 12 minutes from the break when a Mole shot was blocked and Williamson was unable to capitalise on an empty goal and Baxter cleared the danger.

Two minutes from the break Ramsay sent a pass to Dempster but the strikers curling effort was held by McGurn while at the other end Davidson set up Tade who sent the ball just wide of the post from the edge of the box.

Three minutes after the interval Davidson saw a header crash off the bar after being set up by Wilson as the visitors looked to break the deadlock.

Fairbairn then fired in a 25 yard free kick hoping to replicate his goal against Dundee but McGurn dived low to save his effort.

With 71 minutes gone McKenzie went on a fine run through the Rovers half of the field, after beating Ellis, but McGurn finger tipped his effort wide while at the other end Hay also had to be at his best when a Wilson cross was met by sub Baird who saw his header saved by the Cowden custodian.

The closing 11 minutes proved to be dramatic with Colin Cameron breaking the deadlock when he slotted home the opener with a low shot from 18 yards into the bottom corner of the net following a knockdown from Dempster.

As Cowden looked set to pick up a welcome three points we were hit with a double whammy.

With two minutes of regulation time to go John Baird headed home an equaliser from close range after Wilson had picked up a cross field pass from Dyer and two minutes into injury time he sent in a cross for former Central Park loanee Stephen Simmons who was left unmarked to send a looping header past Hay.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Raith Rovers