Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 2Greenock Morton 2

Date: 23rd October 2010 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Stephen Finnie
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 582
Man of the Match: Marc McKenzie

Despite playing the majority of the game with ten men Cowden held out to gain a valuable point in a game of many talking points. In an action packed opening 45 minutes we saw a sending off, four goals and two penalty misses!

There were two changes to the side which had narrowly lost the Fife derby the previous week with new signing Steven Old going straight into the side for his debut along with Lee Sibanda, with Mark Ramsay dropping out due to injury while Brian Fairbairn dropped to the bench.

There was drama after just eight minutes when Hay received a red card after he clashed with Ton forward Graham as he went for a loose ball, despite Old getting back to kick the ball to safety.

Seventeen year old Lee Wilson was then handed a surprise debut in the Cowden goal with Smith making way for the youngster.

The youngster’s first task was to face a Weatherson spot kick which hit the inside of the post and ran along the goal line before being cleared by Linton.

Two minutes later the visitors did manage to find the back of the Cowden net when Brian Graham collected a loose pass in midfield and his 25 yard shot deflected off Winter before hitting the net via the underside of the bar.

Their lead however lasted barely seven minutes from a corner the ball was switched in to the visitors box where Marc McKenzie was handily place to slot the ball past Stewart from close range.

A Dempster shot was cleared and the ball fell to Colin Cameron who sent a curling shot past Stewart.

Two minutes later however Morton had a second chance from the penalty spot when Linton fouled Weatherson but Graham’s effort was blocked by Wilson’s legs.

As an eventful half came to a close Morton grabbed an equaliser in time added on when Allan Jenkin’s fired home a volley from 12 yards.

After such an eventful opening period things slowed down in the second half but Wilson still had to be at his best to save an 18 yard effort from O’Brien while at the other end Greacen scissor kicked a clearance over his own bar following a Dempster cross.

Morton tried to put Wilson under pressure with a series of crosses into the Cowden box but Old and Winter mopped up the danger with former having to leave the field with a burst lip after a clash.

At the other end Sibanda set up sub Stewart but Caffrey blocked his low shot with Stewart beaten.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Greenock Morton