Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Falkirk 2

Date: 16th April 2011 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Thomas Robertson
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 636
Man of the Match: Ludovic Roy

Two goals in a four minute period midway through the second half saw the Bairns snatch a win to keep their outside title hopes alive.

Not surprisingly Jimmy Nicholl opted to field the same starting line up which had gained a point at Kirkcaldy the previous Saturday although Colin Cameron returned to the bench.

The Bairns made a lively start to the game and Roy had to grab a series of crosses which the visitors sent over in the opening ten minutes but at the other end Ramsay's corner was met by Stewart and his header was saved by Olejnik.

In 16 minutes Falkirk had a glorious chance when Millar's pass sent Flynn clear of the Cowden cover but from 17 yards he blasted over.

Eight minutes later Millar's corner ran to Higginbotham 12 yards out and his first-time shot was brilliantly blocked by Roy.

However, in 31 minutes we took the lead. Coult's cross from the right deceived Scobbie and Greg Stewart pulled the ball down before firing a low left foot shot past the keeper.

Falkirk's response was immediate and Stewart's header went inches wide and then 10 minutes from the break Alston latched onto a Duffie cross but hooked his shot over.

Cowden opened the second period well and Crawford held off two defenders before firing in a shot which Duffie managed to block and then in 54 minutes Baxter's cross was met by Linton and his looping header looked to be dropping under the bar when somehow Olejnik managed to claw the ball out.

Eleven minutes later the game turned on its head. Roy pulled off a fine driving save from Flynn's drive and from Millar's corner Mark Stewart was left unmarked and his 10 yard header gave Roy no chance.

Four minutes later Falklirk went ahead. Millar was again the provider and his long ball from the Cowden left found Brian McLean lurking at the far post and his strong header beat the exposed Roy.

The Bairns were now looking the more positive side and in 74 minutes Stewart beat Adamson and his fierce shot was blocked by Roy's legs.

As the game went into the closing stages Cowden tried to get back in touch and Linton's 85th minute shot brought out a diving save from Olejnik and two minutes later substitute Cameron headed down to Adamson but his first time 18 yarder flew over the bar.

No gallery images are available for this match.