Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match


Airdrieonians 1Cowdenbeath FC 5

Date: 20th August 2011 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Craig Charleston
Venue: Penny Cars Stadium Attendance: 834
Man of the Match:

A three goal second half blitz saw us record our first ever win over United to move to the top of the table.

Traditionally the Lanarkshire town hasn’t been a happy hunting ground for Cowden teams over the years with only a couple of draws having being recorded at the Excelsior Stadium while we never got much out of the old Airdrieonians at Broomfield – in fact our last win in the town had been in March 1939 when the all conquering championship side of that era won 4-1!

There were two enforced changes to the side which had beaten Brechin the previous Saturday. John Armstrong had to withdraw with a headache while Mark Ramsay was sidelined due to injury. Craig Winter and Jordan Morton came into the line up as replacements.

It was the Diamonds, with former Central Park favourites Jimmy Boyle and Alan Lawrence in charge, who made the brighter start and took the lead in only six minutes.

Bejaoui blocked an initial shot from Stevenson but Ryan Donnelly followed up to blast the rebound high into the roof of the Cowden net.

Two goals in the closing eight minutes of the first half however saw the game turned on its head.

With 37 minutes gone Linton sent over a corner from the right which found captain Jon Robertson who sent a powerful downward header past keeper McKane.

Then in injury time Brett and McKenzie combined to set up Scott Linton who fired home to give us the lead.

The second period was only five minutes old when we went further ahead, Linton saw a shot blocked by McKane, and the ball fell to Lewis Coult who sent a low shot into the net.

Goal number four came on 67 minutes when Stallard was dispossessed by Coult who set up the unmarked Linton who slotted home his second goal of the afternoon in style.

Soon after McKenzie had a chance to make it five when he had a shot blocked by McKane, when the better option may have been to pass to the unmarked Linton, and minutes later he had another effort which came off the post.

The fifth goal was however delayed by a few minutes with substitute Stewart setting up Jordan Morton who gave McKane no chance with his shot.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC