Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 3East Fife 2

Date: 10th September 2011 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Bobby Madden
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 540
Man of the Match:

After the disappointment of losing at Stenhousemuir in our previous league outing we got our title challenge back on track with a welcome derby win.

Both Dean Brett and Colin Cameron returned to the starting line up after missing out at Ochilview due to injuries with loan signing Kal Naismith also coming into the side for his debut, while Thomas O’Brien made his first start of the season.

East Fife arrived at Central Park looking for their first win in Cowdenbeath since April 1994 and took the lead in only the second minute.

Ogleby laid the ball back and with the home defence failing to pick up Ryan Wallace, the front man had plenty of time to fire a well placed shot wide of the keeper.

Two minutes later Ogleby chased a Muir pass and Bejaoui had to race from his line to narrow the angle and force the striker to fire wide from just inside the box.

The East Fife number nine was a constant threat at this stage and in seven minutes he latched on to a Johnstone pass, raced into the Cowden box, and sent his left foot shot just over.

We gradually worked their way into the game and in 15 minutes Stewart's shot was saved by 'keeper Ridgers after a neat piece of work by Naismith and three minutes later we were level.

A good run by Greg Stewart saw him challenge Durie and with the Methilman claiming he was pushed, the striker rounded Ridgers and levelled the game from six yards out.

The play continued to ebb and flow and Ogleby twice tested Bejaoui,seeing an effort come off the underside of the bar, while at the other end Linton's shot beat Ridgers and looked to be going in before hitting the covering Muir on the heel and striking the keeper's right hand post, then shortly before the break the link man's left foot drive was spectacularly palmed over by Ridgers.

Cowden opened the second-half with several sweeping moves and in 52 minutes they went ahead.

Naismith's corner-kick fell to Linton whose angled drive struck Matthew Park and flew past the 'keeper.

Three minutes later O'Brien's 40 yard pass released Stewart who ran into the East Fife box and his shot was expertly held by the Methil last line.

However, in 62 minutes the Bayview men were level. A ball played into the Cowdenbeath box was not properly dealt with by the defence and it bounced to David Muir 10 yards out and his low drive gave Bajaoui no chance.

It was clear that this would not be the last goal of the match and both teams threatened with Wallace shooting just over for the visitors and Adamson's header, from a Cameron cross, being palmed over by Ridgers.

Then in 75 minutes Cowden got what proved to be the winner. Naismith was fouled 25 yards out by Durie and Jon Robertson's curling free-kick struck the defensive wall and flew into Ridgers' bottom left hand corner.

It was not the end of the action though and Stewart saw his 14 yarder brilliantly parried by Ridgers while at the other end Wallace's 20 yard free-kick came back off the woodwork and then Dalziel saw his low shot well saved by Bejaoui.

No gallery images are available for this match.

East Fife