Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 2Albion Rovers 1

Date: 24th September 2011 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Kevin Clancy
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 304
Man of the Match: Kal Naismith

Two first half goals from Kal Naismith saw us rack up a third successive win to remain just behind league leaders Arbroath.

It was the on loan youngster’s first senior goals, in only his third appearance for Cowden.

There was one change to the side which had one at Dumbarton with Colin Cameron sidelined with a back injury and Kyle Miller came in as his replacement.

In five minutes Miller latched onto a McKenzie cross and his header tested Gaston in the visiting goal and three minutes later Stewart gathered a Robertson pass and raced clear of the Albion cover only to drag his left foot shot wide.

In 17 minutes Rovers should have scored with Reid's cross picking out former Blue Brazilan Gemmell in space, but his header went wide.

Two minutes later Cowden went in front. Stewart's shot was parried by Gaston and Kal Naismith fired the rebound into the net from six yards out.

We had other chances with the scorer seeing a fierce 20 yarder held by Gaston and then Stewart shooting wide from a good position but in 36 minutes the hosts were two up. Naismith was making ground into the Rovers' box when Boyle caught his ankle with a tackle and the referee pointed to the spot. The on-loan Rangers player fired the penalty high into the net.

Rovers mounted a bit of a revival in the run-up to the break and a Gemmell header tested Flynn and Chaplain's shot was expertly blocked for a corner by the last line.

We opened the second period in control and two minutes after the re-start McKenzie's cross was perfect for Miller but his header went inches over and then the young link man cut the ball back to Stewart who mis-hit his ten yard shot and Gaston saved.

The longer the half went the more Rovers started to dictate play and in 77 minutes Chaplain's 22 yarder hit O'Brien with Flynn wrong-footed then minutes later Russell's curling shot was held by the 'keeper.

Albion substitute Acquah saw the Cowden 'keeper pull off a fine diving save from his 18 yard shot but with six minutes left Scott Chaplain was set-up by the the sub and his 14 yarder flew low into the net.

We were struggling now, but Chaplain took the pressure off them a little by receiving a red card for a wild tackle on Naismith with three minutes left. There was still time for Acquah to get in another shot which Flynn dealt with expertly to preserve the three point haul.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Albion Rovers