Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 2Arbroath 3

Date: 7th April 2012 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: George Salmond
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 671
Man of the Match:

Despite a brave performance ten man Cowden went down to their first home defeat of the league campaign against fellow promotion challengers Arbroath.
There was one change to the starting line up from the side which had lost at Coatbridge with Gary Fisher replacing Liam Cusack.
The on loan Killie midfielders afternoon was short lived however as he hobbled on just after the half hour after a couple of heavy challenges.
We got off to the perfect start and opened the scoring after just five minutes when Marc McKenzie’s looping shot deflected off a defender leaving keeper Hill stranded.
Soon after Hill pulled off a good one handed save to stop an Armstrong header as we went in search of a second goal.
The visitors Innes was first in referee Salmond’s book after a foul on Coult and both Coult and Kerr soon followed after a bust up on the halfway line.
A dramatic five minute period midway through the half then saw the game turn in favour of the visitors.
With 22 minutes gone Adamson was booked for a foul on former Central Parker Sibanda and two minutes later committed a similar offence and was sent off.
The visitors then drew level after 25 minutes when Steven Dorris got onto the end of an Innes flick to send the ball past Flynn from close range.
Two minutes later the Red Lichties took the lead with a freakish goal when Kieran McAnespie sent over a 35 cross from the left which flew over Flynn into the top corner of the Cowden net.
We were then forced to reshuffle the side when Fisher hobbled off to be replaced by O’Brien.
Within two minutes of the start of the second half we were back on level terms when McKenzie, who was making his 70th appearance for the club, slotted home from the penalty spot after Robertson had been brought down by Malcolm.
However with 14 minutes remaining Dorris grabbed his second goal of the afternoon to keep his side in the title hunt.
Flynn lost out in a challenge with Samuel and the ball fell to division’s top scorer to roll the ball into an empty net.

No gallery images are available for this match.