Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 0Airdrieonians 0

Date: 5th May 2012 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Euan Norris
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 1345

The final game of a historic season ended goal less although at the end of the day both sides would have been happy with the outcome.
For Cowden it meant that we had gone through the championship campaign with only one home defeat, while visitors Airdrie reached the play offs after Stenhousemuir had lost to Forfar.
In an emotional afternoon departing skipper Jon Robertson lined up in a blue jersey for the last time after five years at Central Park and was subbed six minutes from the end and was warmly cheered by the home support.
Stevenson of the visitors was first to threaten and his first-time shot in four minutes had Flynn on the alert.
However, two minutes later Linton threaded a lovely pass to Lyle and from 12 yards out he fired wide when he should have hit the target.
Airdrie, looking to win the game and backed by a good support, saw McNeill's cross beat the Cowden defensive cover and Holmes rose to power in a header which Flynn held at the second attempt.
The Diamonds went close in 15 minutes when Stallard hit a fine shot from 25 yards which cannoned off Flynn's bar but at the other end Lyle's angled effort was brilliantly finger tipped over by Adam.
As the half wore on Cowden took charge and Lyle's pass set up Coult in 32 minutes but from the edge of the box he hit his shot straight at Adam when he could have done better, then eight minutes from the break Coult nodded down to Linton and his 12 yarder was well saved by the keeper.
The second-half saw us desperately seeking a goal and inside seconds of the re-start Adamson's long pass found McKenzie but the little wide man's first touch let him down and the ball rolled through to Adam.
On the hour Airdrie threatened when Lynch's lobbed effort landed on top of the bar with Flynn struggling but almost instantly at the other end Linton chipped Adam and it needed a brilliant scissors kick by MacDonald to clear off the line.
Both teams made substitutions as they continued to search for a goal and in 74 minutes one of the Diamonds' replacements, Sally, made a fine run into the Cowden box and Flynn had to be on the alert to save his low shot.
With nine minutes left a Linton free-kick was met by Armstrong but his header was held by Adam and then as time started to run out a McKenzie cross was met by Linton but he guided his header wide.
A goalless draw but both teams were happy with Cowden collecting the championship trophy and Airdrie making the play-offs.
The crowd cheered the Cowden players as they collected their winners' medals and skipper Robertson picked up the trophy.

No gallery images are available for this match.