Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Alloa Athletic 1

Date: 28th July 2012 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ramsdens Cup - First Round Referee: Bobby Madden
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 323

The battle of last season’s champions saw 120 minutes of football fail to separate the sides at Central Park.
But we held our nerve at the penalty shoot -out to secure a place in the Second Round with McKenzie, Ramsay and Stevenson converting successfully from the spot after Coult had seen his effort saved by Bain.
Flynn denied Ryan McCord and Grehan of the Wasps with Holmes on target before Docherty blasted his effort over the bar.
Manager Colin Cameron was ruled out of the tie with a hamstring knock with new signing Ruben Garcia Rey coming in for his debut.
It took us only two minutes to open the scoring when Doyle was short with a pass on the edge of his own box and Lewis Coult latched onto Stevenson’s pass and rounded keeper Bain before clipping the ball home from 10 yards.
But within a minute the Wasps came close to grabbing an equaliser when Crawley sent a 25 yard effort just wide.
In 10 minutes we almost doubled our advantage when Cowan and McKenzie combined to set up Stevenson whose 14 yard shot went well over the bar.
The visitors however grabbed an equaliser on 20 minutes when Ryan McCord9 sent a diagonal ball into the box and when the Cowden defence hesitated Ben Gordon nipped into to guide the ball past Flynn.
Soon after a McKenzie cross eluded the Wasps cover and Stevenson’s first time shot was held low down by Bain and 11 minutes from the break a 20 yard shot McCord was held by Flynn.
The second half opened with O’Brien replacing Rey and within two minutes a long clearance foxed the visiting defence by Bain coolly headed the ball clear of Coult.
Just past the hour Mbu fired a 40 yard effort just wide of the Alloa goal while soon after Stevenson was denied by Bain and with 25 minutes to go his 18 yard shot looked net bound but Gordon appeared on the line to clear.
With 14 minutes remaining Stewart, who had replaced Milne, forced a fine save from Bain with a fierce 10 yard shot following a Stevenson corner.
In extra time the Wasps had a couple of good chances with Ross McCord and Cox testing Flynn.


"Lee and I told the players that it was important to get off to a good start and we did.
In the first five to ten minutes we pressed the game and got the early goal because we put them under pressure high up the pitch.
But then we just seemed to stop pressing up the pitch and allowed them to get on top of the ball and pass it well.
Although we were disappointed with the way that we played at times we did have spells where we played quickly and at the tempo we’re used to and when we did that we created chances".

No gallery images are available for this match.

Alloa Athletic