Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

East Stirlingshire

East Stirlingshire 0Cowdenbeath FC 3

Date: 9th September 2012 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Ramsdens Cup - Quarter Final Referee: Iain Brines
Venue: The Falkirk Stadium Attendance: 414

First half goals from Marc McKenzie and Kenny Adamson saw us qualify for our first ever Ramsdens Cup Semi Final.
There was one change to the side which won at Airdrie with Lewis Milne coming into the starting line up in place of the injured Greg Stewart.
Mark Ramsay returned to the bench after his injury lay off while new signing Pablo Navas was included in the 16.
Although Shire went into the match pointless at the bottom of the Third Division they had beaten higher league opposition twice in the Ramsdens Cup and were always going to be a tough nut to crack.
It was Cowden who opened the match strongly and Stevenson fired wide in the opening minute while soon after a Coult header was blocked.
At the other end Flynn had to be alert to kick the ball clear from the advancing Turner.
Linton then set up Milne but his shot was blocked by keeper Hay at the expense of a corner which was taken by Stevenson with the ball eventually falling to Cameron who fired a shot towards goal which was knocked into the net by Marc McKenzie with ten minutes on the clock.
Four minutes later a cross from Linton bounced off the top of the Shire crossbar while at the other end Greenhill fired over the bar from the edge of the area.
With 18 minutes gone McKenzie had the ball in the back of the net once more after being played through by Coult but the assistant referee had his flag raised.
A Flynn kick out was then blocked by Turner but thankfully bounced away for a goal kick while Jackson was wide of target minutes later.
Devlin then tried his luck from long range but Flynn turned his effort round the post and from the resulting corner from Herd the home side were level after 24 minutes when Sean Kelly fired home from close range after the ball was flicked into his path by Greenhill.
The equaliser gave the home side confidence and Flynn denied Greenhill while Turner beat Adamson before cracking a shot against the upright.
Maxwell then sent in a curling shot which was blocked by Flynn.
However it was Cowden who were to get the vital second goal five minutes from the interval when Kenny Adamson fired home a McKenzie cross from close range.
As a dramatic opening period drew to a close a long range lob by Turner went over the bar while Coult headed past the post following a long throw by Linton.
The start of the second half saw Cameron replaced by O’Brien and Herd was first to threaten the Cowden goal but his effort was blocked.
The home side enjoyed a lot of possession in the second period but clear cut chances were few and far between with their best chance of an equaliser coming when Shepherd attempted to lob Flynn with a long range free kick but the Cowden custodian got back in time to tip his effort over the bar.
At the other end we almost grabbed a third goal when Miller fired in a shot which came off the post with keeper Hay beaten.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC