Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 4Falkirk 1

Date: 9th February 2013 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Stephen Finnie
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 566

After going 16 league games without a win when the win did come it certainly came in style as full time Falkirk were blown away with goals from John Armstrong (2), Kane Hemmings and Jamie Stevenson.
There were two changes to the side which had narrowly lost to Partick Thistle a fortnight previously with Lewis Milne coming back into the side along with Jon Robertson who was making his second debut for us following his return from St Mirren.They replaced Joe Mbu and Liam Caddis who had returned to St Johnstone.
After taking the lead in our six previous games for a change it was Falkirk who opened the scoring after just two minutes when a Kingsley pass was flicked onto Higgins and Lyle Taylor chased the ball down the left flank before breaking into the box, beating Armstrong before firing a low shot across the goal and into the far corner.
Minutes later Coult picked up the first yellow card of the afternoon for a foul on McGrandles who had to be replaced by Dale Fulton.
The visitors enjoyed most of the play in the opening half hour and had a great chance to double their advantage when Taylor latched onto a short pass from Adamson but Flynn dived bravely at his feet to save.
However in 35 minutes, we were back on level terms when Coult headed the ball across the face of the visitors goal to John Armstrong who slid the ball past McGovern from close range.
Three minutes later we took the lead when Kane Hemmings scored for the third successive game blasting a powerful half volley past the out stretched visiting keeper.
After chances for both sides in the second half we got a vital third goal with 17 minutes to go when Stevenson sent over a cross which was headed home by stand in captain Armstrong for his second goal of the afternoon.
As the game drew to a close Jamie Stevenson sealed a memorable afternoon in injury time when he fired in a low 25 yard free kick which took a deflection past the stranded McGovern who had already committed to diving in the opposite direction.

No gallery images are available for this match.