Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 3Airdrieonians 2

Date: 16th March 2013 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Euan Norris
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 407

A last gasp goal from Craig Moore saw us grab a narrow win over Airdrie United to move into seventh place in the table.
With Thomas O’Brien being passed fit and Greg Stewart overcoming flu it was an unchanged starting line up from the side which had drawn with Hamilton the previous Saturday.
New signing Sean McAllister was on the bench along with Jason Naismith who had returned from injury in the midweek reserve win at Stenhousemuir.
We started the game brightly and in just three minutes Stewart set up McKenzie who raced into the visitors’ box before firing in a 16 yard shot which was parried by keeper Thomson.
The ever lively Moore then had two chances firstly he burst into the Airdrie box before firing in a low shot which drifted inches wide before sending in another shot which was just off target.
However with their first attack of the match the Diamonds took the lead with 12 minutes on the clock.
Hetherington sent played a through ball to Jordan Moore who turned to slot the ball past Stewart.
The visitors joy was short lived however as we grabbed a deserved equaliser 60 seconds later.
Stevenson sent a pass to Moore who found Marc McKenzie who shot home from 12 yards.
Both sides pressed to get into the lead and a 22 yard shot from Hetherington was parried to safety by Stewart while at the other end a Stewart header went through keeper Thomson’s legs but the young keeper somehow managed to stop the ball from crossing the line.
A long range Stevenson effort was then deflected for a corner and two minutes later he saw another effort blocked by a defender.
Six minutes into the second half it appeared as if we had taken the lead when Moore slotted home from a Stevenson cross but the flag was up for offside.
With 64 minutes gone it was almost the Diamonds who went back into the lead when Stewart saved a Warren shot from a Bain corner and from the rebound McLaren’s shot bounced off the post before being cleared.
Four minutes later however it was Cowden who got the vital second goal when Greg Stewart slotted home from close range after a Stevenson corner had been punchedclear by keeper Thomson with the ball eventually falling to him to slot home from close range.
The visitors battled to get back on level terms and Kirkpatrick sent an overhead kick just wide while Bain saw a shot parried by Stewart.
With eight minutes to go the Diamonds did get back into the match when Jordan Kirkpatrick fired home from 20 yards.
Five minutes later the visitors had a great opportunity to get back in front when Bain sent his shot wide of the target.
It proved to be a costly miss for the visitors as a minute later Craig Moore scored for the third successive match firing home from close range.

No gallery images are available for this match.