Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 0Raith Rovers 1

Date: 25th July 2015 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Mr Kevin Clancy
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 711


Saturday 25th July2015, Petrofac Training Cup First Round, crowd -711.

For the second successive season we bowed out of the Petrofac Training Cup at the first hurdle by a side managed by Ray McKinnon.

Twelve months ago McKinnon led his then Brechin side to a 3-1 extra time win at Central Park and the new Rovers boss completed the double thanks to a goal from Lewis Vaughan midway through the first half.

Colin Nish handed competitive debuts to six of our summer signings - Michael Andrews, Mo Yaqub, Brad Donaldson, Sam Orritt, Greig Spence and Luke Armstrong, in a much changed Cowden line up who sported our new change strip.

Rovers lined up with Lewis Toshney in their starting line -up following his close season move from Central Park with another former Central Parker Rory McKeown also starting.

It was the Kirkcaldy side who kicked off the new season at Central Park attacking the west end of the ground and after a four minutes Kane headed over the bar following an Orritt coner.

In 16 minutes Rovers won a free kick 20 yards out but Lewis VAUGHAN curled his shot wide of the post.

However seven minutes later the Kirkcaldy youngster broke the deadlock with what proved to the only shot on target during the 90 minutes.

Stewart won the ball and squared to the youngster who shot past the diving Andrews. Our quick reply saw a cross cum shot easily held by Cuthbert.

Just past the half hour a cross from Yaqub was met by Luke Armstrong who appeared to be held before he got a shot in which was held by Cuthbert.

Spence then had a couple of chances before the interval firstly he saw a fierce 16 yard shot deflect off Toshney while on the half time whistle he sent a shot wide.

We started the second period brightly and Spence saw a low drive blocked while Armstrong held off a tackle before his low shot was blocked by Bates.

Just short of the hour McKeown fired a left footed shot from the edge of the box wide and with 15 minutes to go Spence set up Johnston who delayed his shot and Bates made a fine tackle to deflect the ball wide.

With ten minutes to go Armstrong drifted past three defenders but sent his final shot wide while at the other end Craigen headed past the post from a good position.

TEAM: Michael Andrews, Dean Brett, Mo Yaqub, John Armstrong, Brad Donaldson, Chris Kane (Colin Nish 78), Sam Orritt (Lewis Milne 67), Declan Hughes, Greig Spence, Luke Armstong & Craig Johnston (Kyle Miller 84). Subs not used – Jamie Sneddon, Liam Callaghan, Pat Scullion & Jack Wright.

Bookings: Johnston (30), Hughes (70), Yaqub (73), Brett (90+3).

RAITH ROVERS: Kevin Cuthbert, Jason Thomson, Ross Callachan, Lewis Toshney (Elliot Ford 67), Grant Anderson, Ryan McCord, Mark Stewart, Lewis Vaughan (Craig Wighton 46), David Bates, Rory McKeown & James Craigen. Subs not used – Ross Laidlaw, Darren Petrie, Ross Matthews, Jonny Court & Callum Robertson.

Goal: Vaughan (23).

Booking: Callachan (41).

REFEREE: Mr Kevin Clancy.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Raith Rovers