Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Dunfermline Athletic

Dunfermline Athletic 2Cowdenbeath FC 1

Date: 2nd January 2016 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 1 Referee: Mr Barry Cook
Venue: East End Park Attendance: 5641

Our five game unbeaten run came to an end at East End Park as the Pars moved nine points clear at the top of the table.
The biggest crowd of the season turned out for the game as both sides marked the 20th anniversary of the death of Norrie McCathie.
There were two changes to the side which had beaten Ayr in midweek. Dean Brett due to a family illness and Andy Murdoch who was injured, they were replaced by Chris Kane and Lewis Milne.
The first action came in the opening minute when a Paton free kick was floated into the Cowden box but Scullion headed clear.
Cardle then slipped the ball into the path of El Bakhataoui but his shot was blocked, while at the other end Spence sent a weak shot past the post.
The first goal of 2016 however came with 18 minutes gone when El Bakhtaoui sent Michael MOFFAT clear on goal and he curled his left footed shot past Sneddon.
Minutes later the Pars were forced into a chance when McAustland went down in front of the dug outs and was eventually replaced by Byrne.
With 25 minutes gone Spence broke through but Murdoch done well to block his shot with the rebound falling to Callaghan who sent his shot over.
Two moments of controversy then followed Richards- Everton appeared to knock the ball forward with his arm in a packed box then Spence appeared to be caught by Murdoch but play went on.
As the action continued Spence saw a shot gathered at the post by Murdoch while El Bakhtaoui slotted the ball to Moffat whose shot beat Sneddon but Scullion cleared the danger. Kane then made a timely block as Cardle blasted a shot in.
Our equaliser came in 37 minutes when a long clearance from Kerr was picked up by Greig SPENCE who held off a challenge from Richards-Everton and rounded Murdoch to slot the ball home from an acute angle.
The second half opened with Talbot knocking away an Spence cross with Smith ready to pounce, then Spence was denied once more by the keeper who blocked his shot in 52 minutes.
Smith then sent a shot at the back post just over the bar following a corner. The action continued with both sides having their chances but in 65 minutes the Pars got what proved to be the winner from the penalty spot.
As a Cardle cross came into the box and Adamson shoved Michael MOFFAT who duly got up to slot his second goal of the afternoon past Sneddon.
Dunfermline went for a killer third goal and Sneddon tipped a powerful shot from Talbot over the bar, while Murdoch done well to keep a Donaldson effort out as we looked to draw level.
TEAM : Jamie Sneddon, Brad Donaldson, Fraser Kerr, Pat Scullion, Kenny Adamson, Chris Kane (Aldin El Zubaidi 84), Declan Hughes, Lewis Milne (Craig Johnston 69), Liam Callaghan, Gordon Smith & Greig Spence. Subs not used – Trialist, Mo Yaqub, Luke Armstrong, Harvey Swann & Ryan McDonald.
Goal: Spence (37).
Bookings: Kane (45 +1), Adamson (65), Hughes (68), Spence (81), Johnston (89).
DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC: Sean Murdoch, Shaun Rooney, Jason Talbot, Marc McAustland (Shaun Byrne 23), Ben Richards-Everton, Andy Geggan, Michael Paton, Josh Falkingham, Michael Moffat, Faissal El Bakhtaoui (Ryan Wallace 85) & Joe Cardle (David Hopkirk 83). Subs not used – David Hutton, Paul Joseph Crossan, Rhys McCabe & Mickel Antoine Curier.
Goals: Moffat (18, 65).
Bookings: El Bakhtaoui (68), Geggan (79).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC