Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Berwick Rangers

Berwick Rangers 1Cowdenbeath FC 1

Date: 5th November 2016 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 2 Referee: Mr Kevin Graham
Venue: Shielfield Park Attendance: 454


Saturday 5th November, Ladbrokes League Two Match No 11, Att 454.
A dramatic stoppage time goal from sub Cameron Muirhead gave us a point against a Berwick side which ended the game with nine men at Shielfield Park last Saturday afternoon.
With 16 minutes gone McGurn parried a long range effort from Sheerin at the expense of a corner and just three minutes later the Borderers took the lead when McKennan slotted the ball to Greg RUTHERFORD who shot home from close range.
Just after the half hour Renton played the ball to Miller but keeper Walker was quick to react and safely gathered.
McGurn denied Sheerin once more while an angled effort from Thomson was deflected for a corner.
At the other end Johnston cut the ball back for Renton but his effort was cleared on the line by a defender.
On the hour a glancing header from Thomson went just wide while Renton had the ball in the net a few minutes later, after a cut back by Johnston, but the whistle had gone for a head knock on McKinlay.
A 30 yard free kick by Miller was then tipped over the bar by Walker as we looked to get back on level terms.
From the resultant corner by Brett Renton’s goal bound header was handled on the line by Thomson who was sent off.
Brett stepped up for the spot kick but his effort crashed off the underside of the bar, with a Russian linesman perhaps giving us the benefit of doubt, and as play raged on Renton’s rebound narrowly went wide.
Miller was once again denied by Walker with another long range free kick while Renton headed just past from a Brett corner.
With eight minutes remaining it appeared as if Johnston had been tripped in the box by a defender but play went on.
Robertson then sent over a cross which was picked up by Renton but his shot was blocked while Brett fired over the bar.
A Brett free kick was then blocked by the wall while a dipping shot from Renton went just over the bar.
The breakthrough through eventually came a minute into stoppage time when Notman was sent off for a rash challenge on Miller at the halfway line.
McGurn floated the ball into the packed home box and after being cleared by the home defence the ball was played back in by Moore and after Miller’s initial shot was blocked by Walker Cammeron MUIRHEAD followed up for his first senior goal.
TEAM: McGurn, Brett, Todorov (Muirhead 79), Pyper, McLauchlan, Miller, B Ross (Robertson 68), O’Brien, Moore, Johnston & Renton. Subs not used – Sneddon, Murrell, Creaney & Sives.
Goal: Muirhead (90+1).
Booked: McLauchlan (15), Miller (85)
BERWICK RANGERS: Walker, Hamilton, McKinlay, Notman, Martin, Fairbairn, Thomson, Laverty, Rutherford, McKenna (Beveridge 73) & Sheerin (Hogg 89). Subs not used – Brennan, Orru, Watt, McDonald & Jones.
Goal: Rutherford (19).
Booked: Rutherford (64), Fairbairn (73), Laverty (85).
Sent off: Thomson (68), Notman (90+1).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC