Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Berwick Rangers 3

Date: 27th January 2018 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 2 Referee: Kevin Graham
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 332

A third successive defeat saw us cast nine points adrift at the foot of the table after both Clyde and Edinburgh City won their games against Peterhead and Annan respectively.

Gary Bollan made on change to the starting line up with new signing David Cox coming into the starting line up with Kyle Miller ruled out due to suspension.

The visitors playing against the strong wind had the first chance of the afternoon with just three minutes gone when See beat Rumsby and fired a low shot which was turned for a corner at his right hand post by McGurn.

Three minutes later Laverty sent in a cross which was intercepted at the expense of another corner with Hamilton lurking.

With nine minutes gone Thomson tried his luck with a shot from the edge of the box which was saved by McGurn.

Syme then saw a shot saved by McCrorie and in 17 minutes Swann sent a long free kick into the Berwick box but Syme’s header went wide of goal and within a minute the visitors took the lead when Jack HAMILTON got on the end of a Philips cross to head home from close range.

Midway through the half Thomson saw a free kick drift high over the bar and nine minutes from the break the advancing McGurn done well to block from See.

Then right on half time we got back on level terms when Brad Smith was fouled by Petkov and Harvey SWANN fired home powerfully from the penalty spot high into the top left corner.

However with 53 minutes gone Steven THOMSON took full advantage of the strong wind at his back to fire home a dipping 25 yard drive high into the top corner of the net to restore the visitors lead.

Just past the hour mark Thomson tried his luck again with a 20 yard free kick, after Mullen had fouled Laverty, but his effort went narrowly over the bar.

Then in 68 minutes an angled shot from Laverty was held by the diving McGurn as Berwick looked for a killer third goal.

That eventually came with eight minutes remaining when Thomson turned provider sending in a cross for Ousman SEE to head home from close range at the back post.

With four minutes to go we had a good chance to reduce the deficit when the Berwick defence failed to clear a Mullen cross with the ball falling to Cox who sent his shot wide from close range.

Then as the game drew to a close O’Kane fired in a 35 yard free kick which floated over the bar.

TEAM: McGurn, Pyper, Malcolm, Syme, Rumsby, Mullen, Reilly (Luke 81), B Smith, Malone (McInally 67), Cox & Swann. Subs not used – Penman, Hornby, Whitaker, Henderson & Muirhead.

Goal: Swann (45+1).
Booked: Mullen (60), Pyper (75).

BERWICK RANGERS: McCrorie, Fleming, Fairbairn, Thomson (Orru 89), Laverty (Cook 86), Phillips, Petkov, Stewart, O’Kane, Hamilton (Murrell 72) & See. Subs not used – Brennan, Simpson & Herriot.

Goals: Hamilton (18), Thomson (53), See (82).
Booked: Thomson (39), Stewart (79)

No gallery images are available for this match.

Berwick Rangers