Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Stirling Albion 2

Date: 10th February 2018 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 2 Referee: Peter Stuart
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 366

It was an afternoon of penalties and yellow cards as we went down to another narrow defeat from Stirling.

There were two changes to the side which had drawn at Annan with the suspended Pyper and Mullen being replaced by Gilfillan and Malone.

The first meaning full attempt on goal came with 17 minutes gone when a glancing header by MacDonald was held by McGurn.

Two minutes later MacDonald turned provider with a corner which Barr got on the end of but his header was saved by McGurn, then Barr got on the end of a long ball only once again to be denied by the keeper.

With 23 minutes gone Cox sent the ball across the Albion box but Malone got a poor connection and the ball drifted past the post.

Buchanan then slotted the ball into the Stirling box but the advancing Binnie beat Malone to the ball.

Then as the first half drew to a close Swann sent a free kick into the box with Malone unable to reach the ball which was gathered by Binnie.

Three minutes into the second half Cox saw claims for a penalty waived aside as he went down in the box while soon after Buchanan saw his path to goal blocked by the Albion defence.

Buchanan then saw a dipping shot from the edge of the box fly narrowly over the bar.

With 64 minutes gone Stirling got the first penalty of the afternoon when Kavanagh was fouled by Malcolm however the spot kick from Darren Smith was saved by McGurn.

Reilly then saw a shot from the edge of the box saved by Binnie as we looked to snatch the lead.

However with 70 minutes gone the visitors got a second spot kick when Smith was fouled by Rumsby and Peter MacDONALD sent McGurn the wrong way to open the scoring.

Smith then saw a long range shot held by McGurn while at the other end an overhead kick from Buchanan went across the face of the goal.

With ten minutes remaining we got back on level terms. Following a Swann corner Gilfillan was fouled in the box by Barr and Harvey SWANN made no mistake from the spot.

Four minutes later Stirling got what proved to be the winner when Rumsby lost possession to McLauchlin who sent the ball through to MacDONALD to slot home his second goal of the afternoon.

Minutes later Buchanan sent Reilly through on goal but his angled shot was held by Binnie and as the game went into stoppage time a free kick from Swann on the edge of the box was held by the keeper.

TEAM: McGurn, McInally, Swann, Gilfillan, Rumsby, Miller, Cox, Malcolm, Malone (Reilly 46), B Smith (Syme 78) & Buchanan. Subs not used – Penman, Hornby, Fotheringham, Luke & Muirhead.

Goal: Swann (80).
Booked: Buchanan (42), Gilfillan (60), Cox (57), Malcolm (64), McGurn (64), Rumsby (70).

STIRLING ALBION: Binnie, McGeachie, Hamilton, McNeil, Barr, Moon (Stranger 74), Jardine, MacDonald, D Smith, Kavanagh (Black 87) & Robertson (McLaughlin 82). Subs not used – Fallens, Banner, R Smith & Caddis.

Goals: MacDonald (70 & 84).
Booked: Robertson (25), Moon (50), Barr (70). MacDonald (72), McLaughlin (83), McNeil (84), Black (88).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Stirling Albion