Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 0Peterhead 2

Date: 24th February 2018 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 2 Referee: David Lowe
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 216

It was the calm before the storm with a sunny and relatively wind free day at Central Park which saw us eventually go down to goals in each half as we fell 12 points behind Edinburgh City after they recorded their biggest SPFL win by beating Elgin 4-0 at Ainslie Park.

After the previous weeks defeat at Clyde Gary Bollan rang the changes to his starting line up with Jordan Hornby making his debut as was Jordyn Sheerin while David Syme and David Cox returned to the side.

Peterhead’s Smith, who had scored twice on his last visit to Central Park, had the first chance of the afternoon with three minutes gone but saw his shot from the edge of the box saved by McGurn.

Six minutes later Smith whipped a cross into the six yard box with Scott Brown getting on the end ofit but Pyper cleared his shot off the line.

However with 17 minutes gone the Blue Toon took the lead when Hornby impeded Smith and Gibson sent fired the resultant free kick into the box for Russell McLEAN to fire a powerful header past McGurn.

On the half hour former Central Parker Stevenson saw a long range effort which flew past the post.

McLean then sent the ball wide from a Robertson cross while Horby sent a cross into the Peterhead box but Brad Smith sent his header over the bar.

Then as the first half drew to a close McLean saw a close range shot held by McGurn.

Smith sent a shot over from the edge of the box nine minutes into the second half while an angled shot from Hornby saw saved by Fleming just short of the hour mark, while Reilly sent a shot over the bar from the edge of the box.

A long free kick from Hornby was then saved by Fleming and with 71 minutes Brad Smith was put through on goal by Cox but sent the ball past the post.

Cox then saw an angled shot cleared by McCracken as we looked to get back on level terms.

It was the Blue Toon though who were to get the second goal of the afternoon when Karim BELMOKHAR got on the end of a Norris cross to slot the ball home from close range four minutes into stoppage time.

TEAM: McGurn, Mullen, Hornby, Pyper, Syme, Miller, Cox, Malcolm, Sheerin, B Smith & Reilly (Luke 63). Subs not used – Penman, Swann, McInally, Muirhead, Fotheringham & Connelly.

Booked: Miller (56), Malcolm (90+3).

PETERHEAD: Fleming, Jason Brown, Robertson, McIlduff (Norris 77), McCracken, Stevenson, Leitch, S Brown, McLean (Belmokhar 67), Smith (Jordon Brown 82) & Gibson. Subs not used – Hobday, Johnstone & Adams.

Goals: McLean (17), Belmokhar (90+4).
Booked: McLean (52), Leitch (86).

No gallery images are available for this match.