Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

FC Edinburgh

FC Edinburgh 1Cowdenbeath FC 1

Date: 13th March 2018 Kick off: 7:45pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 2 Referee: Grant Irvine
Venue: Meadowbank Stadium Attendance: 256

David Cox’s first goal Cowden goal earned us a deserved point at Ainslie Park on Tuesday night, although we were still left 15 points adrift from our hosts and Berwick who dropped to second bottom after losing at home to Stirling.

We made a bright start to the game and with two minutes gone Hornby send a shot from the edge of the box wide of the post.

A few minutes later Cox sent over a cross which was headed towards goal by Sheerin but keeper Antell made a fingertip save to knock the ball over the bar.

El Alagui then sent a shot wide from a Walker corner while Tena saw a free kick from the edge of the box whistle past McGurn’s post.

Walker then latched onto a poor defensive header but sent his shot over the bar while McGurn forced the advancing Shepherd wide with the City man eventually getting a cross in which El Alagui volleyed over the bar.

Then at the other end Brad Smith sent a shot from the edge of the box wide of the target.

Rodger then sent a cross into the Cowden box which was headed clear by Gilfillan then Walker put Shepherd through but his lob over McGurn bounced off the top of the crossbar.

As the first half drew to a close Thomson sent over a cross which El Alagui headed over at the back post while at the other end a Buchanan shot was deflected for a corner.

The start of the second half gave us the chance to open the scoring when Brad Smith was fouled by Laird in the box but Sheerin’s resulting spot kick sent his effort wide of the post.

Sheerin then saw a 20 yard shot go wide then minutes later a curling shot from Brad Smith was palmed around the post by Antell.

Then a deep Walker free kick found El Alagui who sent his shot straight into the hands of McGurn.

Just short of the hour Pyper sent a long free kick into the City box but Sheerin’s shot was deflected for a corner.

Then another free kick from Walker saw Beattie get a header in which was held by McGurn.

Walker then shot over before Sheerin put Buchanan through but his shot was saved by the diving Antell.

However with 20 minutes to go it was City who broke the deadlock when sub Graham TAYLOR got onto the end of a long ball from Beattie and lobbed the ball over McGurn.

With just four minutes left on the clock we got back level when Brad Smith sent over a cross which was knocked on by Sheerin into the path of David COX who fired home an angled drive.

Then minutes later when had a good chance of snatching a winner when a Gilfillan free kick was deflected into the path of Muirhead but his close range shot was blocked by Antell.

TEAM: McGurn, Mullen, Hornby (Swann 67), Pyper, Gilfillan, Miller, Cox, Malcolm (Muirhead 80), Sheerin, B Smith & Buchanan. Subs not used – Penman, Rumsby, Luke, McInally & Reilly.

Goal: Cox (86).
Booked: Malcolm (69), Sheerin (82), Buchanan (90+2).

EDINBURGH CITY: Antell, Walker (Scullion 90), Laird, Thomson, Blues, Beattie, Rodger, El Alagui (Taylor 70), Shepherd, Dunn & Garcia Tena. Subs not used – Morton, McKee, Hall, Watson & Kennedy.

Goal: Taylor (70).
Booked: Rodger (53), Thomson (57).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC