Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

FC Edinburgh

FC Edinburgh 1Cowdenbeath FC 0

Date: 29th September 2018 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 2 Referee: 337
Venue: Meadowbank Stadium Attendance: Lloyd Wilson

A goal on the hour mark from Conrad Balatoni gave City their first home win over us since October as they continued their good start to the season.

There were five changes to the side which had drawn with Albion Rovers the previous week with Marsh, Miller, Sheerin, Cox and Smith returning while Scullion, Malcolm, Skelly, Scott and Renton dropped to the bench.

The first chance of the afternoon after just six minutes saw City’s Blair Henderson send the ball wide of the post from close range following a diagonal pass from Thomson.

Minutes later Thomson sent a free kick into the box but the danger was cleared by Pyper while at the other end a Mullen free kick was headed over his own bar by Liam Henderson.

Pyper then brought down Blair Henderson on the edge of the box and Shepherd’s resultant free kick was blocked by the wall while McGurn parried his follow up shot.

On the half hour Shepherd got on the end of a McIntyre corner but his header was turned around the post by McGurn.

As the first half drew to a close, both Handling and Blair Henderson sent efforts over the Cowden bar.

Five minutes into the second half Thomson sent a free kick from the edge of the box over the bar.

In 55 minutes City were awarded a penalty after McGurn brought down Shepherd in the box but McGurn correctly dived to his left to save the forward’s spot kick.

Conrad BALATONI then headed over from a corner but on the hour another corner from McIntyre saw the defender rise to head home what proved to be the only goal of the afternoon despite the efforts of Miller to clear the ball off the line.

Soon after it could have been two but McGurn dived to save Taylor’s shot while the keeper was once again on top form to save from a Blair Henderson header following a Thomson free kick.

With five minutes to go we got our only shot on target of the 90 minutes but Deas effort was saved by Antell.

TEAM: McGurn, Mullen, Deas, Pyper, Marsh, Miller, Buchanan, Fraser (Malcolm 66), Sheerin, Cox (Skelly 67) & Smith (Renton 81). Subs not used – Goodfellow, Scullion, Scott & Talbot.

Booked: Pyper (50), Buchanan (59), Cox (65), Mullen (75).

EDINBURGH CITY: Antell, Thomson, McIntyre, Black, Balatoni, Laird, B Henderson, Handling (Stewart 81), Shepherd (Smith 67) & L Henderson. Subs not used – Morton, Rodger, Hall, Watson & Lumsden.

Goal: Balatoni (60).
Booked: Laird (31).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC