Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Stirling Albion 0

Date: 6th October 2018 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 2 Referee: Stephen Brown
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 365

David Marsh’s first goal for us proved to be enough to beat Stirling and leapfrog them in the league table despite playing for over 70 minutes with ten men after Gary Fraser was sent off for a foul on Kevin Moon.

There were three changes to the side which had lost to Edinburgh City the previous week with Jamie Pyper, Kyle Miller and Brad Smith dropping to the bench with Jason Talbot, Blair Malcolm & Martin Scott returning to the starting line up.

The visitors were first to threaten with just two minutes gone when Horne swung a cross into the Cowden box with McLaren’s header being tipped over the bar by McGurn.

Four minutes later however came the only goal of the afternoon when a Mullen corner wasn’t cleared properly by the Albion defence and Scott laid off the ball to David MARSH to fire home.

McGeachie then headed over from an Allan corner and an overhead kick from McLaren was saved by McGurn as the visitors looked to get back level.

The turning point of the afternoon came with 27 minutes gone when Fraser, playing his third and final match as a trialist, clashed with Moon at the halfway line and was given a straight red card by referee Brown.

Stirling then posed a few threats on the Cowden goal with a shot by Docherty being deflected for a corner which saw Marr head wide. Then Horne sent a long range effort past the post.

Six minutes into the second half Alan Gow, appearing as a trialist for the visitors saw a shot from the edge of the box deflected by Marsh for a corner.

Soon after Deas cut out a cross from Allan and there was drama in 56 minutes when keeper Binnie let the ball slip through his legs but was able to eventually clear the danger.

Allan then sent a long range effort well over while with 66 minutes gone McGurn dived to deny the same player.

With 79 minutes gone we almost got a second goal when a Buchanan cross was met at the back post by Marsh but he headed over from close range.

TEAM: McGurn, Mullen, Talbot, Marsh, Deas, Fraser, Cox (Skelly 90+2), Malcolm, Sheerin (Miller 36), Scott (Renton 80) & Buchanan. Subs not used – Goodfellow, Scullion, Pyper & Smith.

Sent off: Fraser (27).

STIRLING ALBION: Binnie, McGeachie, Thomson, Marr, Horne, Moon (Hughes 77), Jardine, Docherty, McLaren (McLaughlin 67), Gow & Allan. Subs not used – Ferrie, Fell, Banner, Miller & Hayes.

Booked: Allan (59).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Stirling Albion