Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 2Arbroath 1

Date: 9th March 2010 Kick off: 7:45pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Thomas Robertson
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 246
Man of the Match: Joe Mbu

Two quick fire goals midway through the second half saw us record a second successive win to move within three points of league leaders Alloa who went down 3-1 at Dumbarton.

Not surprisingly after the derby day massacre it was an unchanged line up which started the game.

We opened the game strongly with visiting defender Moyes swiping a Droudge cross inches over his own bar as Wardlaw waited to pounce, while Winter went close with a 20 yard drive.

It was the visitors who opened the scoring however after 18 minutes. Booth went on a good run into the Cowden box only to be stopped in his tracks by Armstrong.

From the resultant corner from McCulloch a Doris shot was blocked by Mbu but fell to Paul LUNAN who fired home from five yards.

Minutes later Stein got on the end of a loose ball in the Arbroath box but his shot was blocked by Rattray.

At the other end Doris went over in the box but was yellow carded by referee Robertson for simulation and minutes later he was fortunate not to find himself red carded after a challenge on Armstrong.

As the first half drew to a close Wardlaw went close when he turned two defenders and sent in a curling shot which brought out a good save from Hill.

Ten minutes into the second half Linton sent a long throw into the visitors box which was flicked on by Armtrong into the path of Wardlaw who was judged to be offside as he headed home.

Just after the hour mark McGregor fired in a header which was blocked by Hill with his follow up shot crashing off the post.

The equaliser wasn’t long in coming however, in 63 minutes Paul McQUADE picked up a loose ball 14 yards out and unleashed a low drive which found the bottom corner of the net and a gap in the net ending up on the stock car track!

Three minutes later a Linton ball into the box was headed on by Armstrong to Darren McGREGOR who fired home a low shot from close range.

It was all Cowden now but the visitors weathered the storm and could have grabbed an equaliser with ten minutes to go when a McCulloch corner was met by Gibson who saw his net bound header come off Mbu.

At the other end with just three minutes left on the clock Ramsay sent Dempster clear but his low 16 yard shot bounced back off the post.

Danny Lennon spoke to the Blue Brazil Online after the game:

"I felt we were always in control but Arbroath made it difficult for us as they were difficult to break down.

"We lost a poor goal from a set play but the response and application from the lads was first class. All that was missing in the 1st half was more quality in the final third.

"I had a few words with the boys at half-time and I knew that if they kept doing the right things the opportunities would come. They stuck to their task and I am delighted to come away with a well deserved three points on the back of another very good performance.

"We will not look too far forward and will keep our focus on short-term goals. There are still 36 points to play for but the next 3 up for grabs is our immediate goal so our focus is now firmly on Saturday and a difficult task away to Clyde."

No gallery images are available for this match.