Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Brechin City

Brechin City 3Cowdenbeath FC 3

Date: 20th April 2010 Kick off: 8:45pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Scott MacDonald
Venue: Glebe Park Attendance: 304
Man of the Match:

Despite being three goals up after just 29 minutes we had to settle for a point, which officially secured our play off place, as City launched a dramatic second half comeback.

There were two changes to the side from the draw at Arbroath with Brian Fairbairn and Jon Robertson replacing Mark Ramsay and Craig Winter who dropped to the bench.

We got the game off to a flying start with just two minutes on the clock when Gareth Wardlaw slid the ball home from a McQuade cross.

Things got even better four minutes later when a poor clearance fell to Darren McGregor who lashed a 25 yard volley past keeper Nelson, who managed to get a hand to the ball but was unable to keep it out of the net.

We went further ahead on 29 minutes when McQuade and Robertson played a neat one-two with the ball eventually finding Wardlaw whose well timed run took him in for his 13th goal of the season.

Seven minutes into the second half City commenced their comeback when King set up Rory McAllister who smashed the ball into the net.

Two minutes later the same players once again combined to get the home sides seconf goal with a King pass splitting the Cowden defence for McAllister to side foot home his 27th goal of the campaign.

Five minutes from time we almost added a fourth goal but McQuade’s shot hit the underside of the cross bar and a minute later the home side completed their comeback when Krisjanis Vallers battled his way into the box and sent an angled shot past Hay.

Danny Lennon spoke to the official website after the game:

"That was a sore one to take and I'm only just starting to get over it.

"I can't put my finger on what went wrong in the second half but we will have to take it on the chin and I will be looking for a positive reaction from the players. Thy have received the plaudits this season for some fantastic performances but they need to stand up and take responsibility for the second half showing and learn lessons from it.

"We have made great progress over the last couple of years and have instilled a winning mentality that we are now disappointed to come away from places like Brechin, Arbroath and Peterhead with anything less than three points.

"The positives from the game was an excellent first 45 minutes and clinching a play-off place. Tuesday night's disappointment does not detract from this hard earned success - we would have grabbed this with both hands at the start of the season - but we are hungry for more and will be looking to finish the season as high up the league as possible and take it from there.

"Thanks to all the fans that made the trip up to Brechin. Your support, as ever, is very much appreciated."

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC