Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Alloa Athletic

Alloa Athletic 0Cowdenbeath FC 2

Date: 8th May 2010 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Crawford Allan
Venue: Recreation Park Attendance: 1234
Man of the Match:

Our long 14 year wait for a win at RecreationPark came to an end thanks to second half goals from Gareth Wardlaw and Paul McQuade.

There were two changes to the side which had battled to a mid week draw in the first leg with Kenny Adamson and Brian Fairbairn replacing Scott Linton and Mark Ramsay.

With the game only three minutes old Wardlaw broke into the Wasps box but he was dispossessed by Walker.

At the other end Alloa had a better chance to break the deadlock a minute later when Gormley sent over a cross to Prunty who headed past the post from five yards.

The ever dangerous Prunty then tested Hay with a strong shot which the Cowden custodian pushed clear.

McQuade then saw a 20 yard shot blocked by Brown while Crawford denied the Cowden forward soon after when he blocked a shot with his leg with Fairbairn sending the rebound wide.

In a pulsating opening period Gormley set up Hay, who had replaced the injured Scott, but he sent his ten yard shot well over and soon after Adamson done well to block another Prunty shot.

Eleven minutes from the break Townsley headed just wide of the Cowden post while just on the half time whistle a Fairbairn free kick was held by Crawford.

The second half opened with Winter sending a shot just over the bar while Wardlaw sent a 20 yard effort just past the post.

Cowden eventually took a deserved lead after 59 minutes when Gareth Wardlaw steered a McBride pass low past Crawford.

We then went out to seek a killer second goal and Baxter sent a drive just over, Alloa hit on the break and Prunty shot past the post from a Gormely lay off.

Wardlaw and McQuade came close for Cowden and Fairbairn brought out a good save from Crawford with 12 minutes to go.

Four minutes later our second goal came when Paul McQuade finished off a Wardlaw pass shooting high into the top corner of the net.

As the clock wound down Fairbairn was denied by Crawford for a third goal.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC