Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Edinburgh University

Edinburgh University 0Cowdenbeath FC 5

Date: 4th February 2023 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Lowland League Referee: Alex Shepherd
Venue: East Peffermill Attendance:

Cowdenbeath continued their good start to 2023 with a second successive Lowland League win at East Peffermill this afternoon.

Midweek signings Scott Walker and Dan Watt both went into the squad for the trip to the capital with Ian Davidson also returning and all three got on the score sheet along with Mikey Cunningham and Sam Newman.

On the blustery afternoon the Uni had the first chance of the afternoon when Ryan Murray saw his shot from the edge of the box held by Danny Farrell. Then minutes later at the other end Sam Newman sent a shot across the face of the home goal as Cowden gradually took control and with 12 minutes gone Cunningham got on the end of a Newman cross but his header went just over the bar.

Newman then sent a free kick over the bar before a Scott Sinclair free kick brought out a good save from Cameron Quate. Quate was then again quicky called into action as he managed to tip a close- range effort from Cunningham over the bar.

The deadlock was finally broken with 28 minutes when Scott WALKER fired home an angled shot.

Nine minutes from the interval Lucas Berry sent a shot over the bar while the hosts Ben Marshall dragged a shot wide of the post in a rare home attack. Then on the stroke of half time a Walker free kick was held by Quate.

Nine minutes into the second half a Walker corner was flicked on by Davidson and parried by the keeper before eventually being cleared as far as Sinclair who sent his shot over the bar.

After a succession of subs by both sides just short of the hour we grabbed a second goal when one of the replacements Dan Watt was brought down in the box by Alex Ainslie, and Mikey CUNNINGHAM made no mistake from the spot sending the keeper the wrong way.

With 13 minutes remaining Ian DAVIDSON got his first Cowden goal when he headed home from a Struthers corner and two minutes later it was 4-0 when Stuart Love sent the ball into the path of Sam NEWMAN to slot home.

Uni had a chance to pull a goal back in 82 minutes in a rare attack when Matthew Dick saw his shot held by Farrell and a minute later Cowden completed the scoring for the afternoon when Dan WATT fired home from six yards.

Then with the last kick of the game Struthers saw a free kick held by Quate.

COWDENBEATH: Farrell, Walker (Thomson 72), Armstrong (Lemon 72), Davidson, Robinson, Berry, Cunningham (Struthers 72), Love, Slaven (Watt 59), Sinclair (Garrad 59) & Newman. Sub not used – Ruddy.

EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY: Quate, L Murray, Moodie, Mail, Ainslie, R Murray (Hamilton 79), Maskrey (Baillie 59), Dick, Marshall (Raphel 59), Anderson & Kay. Subs not used – Gallacher, Koutalides, Gray, & Almass.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC